Monday, November 21, 2005

I've been tagged

Being tagged by Mimi on the knitting meme. I guess I don't have much knitting experiences and interesting stories to tell cause I'm a new beginner. Anyway, I did try my best to answer all the questionaires given. ;) And here they are :

1) What is your all-time favourite yarn to knit with ?
Emmmm..... I haven't really experience in knitting all sort of yarns so far. What I knit the most are Acrylic yarn which is cheap and not good in quality. As a new knitter, I'm using cheaper yarn to learn and tune my skills before I invest in them. I guess in future I'll be using cotton contain yarns as they're more cooling to be wear. I got some cotton stash : Online Linie 163, Austermann Pharao Egyptian cotton and Enless Summer Connemara. Will be using one of them on my next cast on, I'm sure they're more friendly to be knitted and more appropriate to wear in hot and humid weather that we've here in Malaysia.

2) Your favourite needles
I like to knit on circular needles as it's more flexible and faster for me to use. I don't need to worry about the missing other needle when I left it with WIPs on the basket or shelves. And I can just chuck it with the WIP and knitting accessories in a box (I'm using a recycle mooncake tin box) to carry it anywhere, anytime to work on.


3) The worst thing you ever knit
I'm going to say it's one of my WIP that I'm most hated and frustrated when knitting it, the "Ocean wave top". It has drop stitches and mistakes almost every line that I've knitted. I need to count and make sure no drop stitches happen on every end of the needle. You can imagine how tedious and frustrated to frog and redo on each roll. And thus make it still remain unfinish till now.


4) Your favourite pattern
I like simple yet elegant knit wear especially those that I saw from Japanese knit book. Would like to knit some of them one day.

5) Most valuable knitting technique
I don't have any special skills or techniques that could make me proud of. I'm still in learning stage, any techniques that I've encouter so far are really treasures to me and I hope to encounter more of them in future. I did learn to knit during my teenage time, but financially not allow me to continue. What I've learn during that time was just knit and purl stitches and they're the key for me to make knitting happen again. I'm thrill that I can knit the whole garment without any personel guidance, I only refer to book and internet resources.

6) Best knit book or magazine


This book, a translated Japanese basic crochet and knitting book from Ondori. Guess how old is this book? ..... Can't? Okay.... let me tell you, it ages more than 20 years old. Yes!! No kidding, I bought it 2 decades ago while I want to learn knitting but never been using it. It's now the most useful reference tool to me. I use it most of the time and I love it cause it's simple and easy to understand. As for the magazine, I'm going to say it's online free magazine of "Kitty". It had made me encounter the interesting hoby of knitting.

7) Your favourite knit-along
I didn't join any knit-along group. If I happen to join, I would like to try socks knit-along group. Knitting socks seem very interesting and I guess it'll be a great experience to try on.

8) Your favourite knit blog
I love all knitter blog that I've read so far, they could be found on my side bar. Like to read the experiences and progress of their projects. And they're the inspiration and resources for me on my projects to work on.

9) Your favourite knitwear designer
No particular favourite knitwear designer in mind. I admired people that could design knitwear, it's not an easy task, as you need to associate the garment to the knit pattern, the appropriate yarn to use, as well as various size to create, that's really not easy. I salute to all of them.

10) The knit item you wear the most
My first knitted object, "Grace", pattern from Knitty. Partly because it's the first successful finished object that I've done and I like the simplicity of this pattern, easy to be mix-match with any bottom. I wear it the most to the office.


11) Who to tag?
I guess most of the knitters that read my blog have already been tagged. So, I'm not going to tag anybody here.

4 Comments:

Blogger Doreen said...

Hi Vivian,

I have the same Japanese basic crochet and knitting book. Same as you, I bought it ages ago when I started doing crochet. It is really a very good reference for beginner.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005 2:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Grace top looks so good on you. Keep on knitting the Ocean waves, it looks pretty. But I know what you mean about lace knitting - I am not good at it.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005 9:16:00 PM  
Blogger emy said...

Hi Vivian,

I know what you mean by frustrating knits. If Ocean waves is gonna be such a pain, I'll suggest that you consider ripping it (yes, most are mortified at the thought) unless you can live with the mistakes and all.

My every first knitted project now exists as several winded balls -- ripped it all out as the shaping was horrible!

Ok, so I am a perfectionist. [grin]

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 10:21:00 AM  
Blogger Mimi said...

Thanks for the answers on your knitting preferences. It was fun to read through. Grace looks very cute, i am sure you'll treasure it for years!

Thursday, November 24, 2005 2:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home